Saturday 15 October 2016

SCI-FI REVIEW: The Hatching - Ezekiel Boone

Release Date: 05/07/16
Publisher: 

SYNOPSIS:

Deep in the jungle of Peru, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist party whole. FBI agent Mike Rich investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Indian earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. The Chinese government "accidentally" drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. The first female president of the United States is summoned to an emergency briefing. And all of these events are connected.

As panic begins to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at Melanie Guyer's Washington laboratory. The unusual egg inside begins to crack. Something is spreading...
The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An virulent ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake. But this is only the beginning of our end...


REVIEW:

Upon originally reading the book blurb, I have to say that this title from Ezekiel sounded like my sort of thing, a Syfy Spidery title of Sharknado proportions. OK, to a fair few of you that might sound awful, but its a book that really gave me a feel of one of those types of films and to be honest I love them.

My twin and I often see who can find the most outlandish film that suspends belief, has absolutely weird premises and of course delivers action as well as typical archetypical characters. Its a delight to escape the real world with something like this and for me the author really delivered.

I had good action sequences, the hair on the back of my head was more than quivering and as a guy who doesn't have a problem with spiders, it took me right back to watching Arachnaphobia for the first time. Its deliciously macabre, delightfully outlandish and for me celebrates the old B-Movies in a modern way. Great fun and a book that my twin is not only going to love but a story that just deserves to be Syfy fodder. OK, its not high art writing but if you want some fun, something that is there to entertain and a story that will have you enjoying each scurrying wave then this could well be the book for you. Great fun.

No comments: